We have provided some basic resources for parents below who are looking for ways to talk with their children about grief and tragedy.
Parents are also encouraged to connect with school counselors with questions or concerns. (During summer months or school breaks, parents needing more information should call the Superintendent's office.)
Another great resource for parents is the Bozeman Community Help Center. (406) 586-3333 or their website is: http://bozemanhelpcenter.org/
Here are some printed resources that may be helpful when talking with children about tragedy and crisis.
- Promoting Tolerance and Peace in Children
- Resource guide for parents & teachers when talking with children about crisis & tragedy
- How to support your grieving teen child
- Care for Caregivers
- Supporting Children and Youth in Grief
- Tip for Teens
- Tips for Parents and Educators
- Grief: Helping Handout for School and Home (National Association of School Psychologists)
- Care for the Caregiver: Tips for Families and Educators (National Association of School Psychologists)
- Talking with Children (Coalition to Support Grieving Students)
- What Not To Say (Coalition to Support Grieving Students)