McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act

Serving Families in Transition

The purpose of our program is to ensure that "each child of a homeless individual and each homeless youth has equal access to the same free, appropriate public education."

How do we determine if a child is homeless?

A child who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence may be classified as homeless under the law known as the McKinney-Vento Act 42 U.S.C. 11434a(2), which is also known as Title IX Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act. A child’s living situation must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Shelter resident
  • Shared housing (doubled up with family or friends due to financial reasons)
  • Motel/hotel resident (because affordable housing is not available)
  • Campground or tent
  • Substandard housing (the home lacks electricity or running water)
  • Car or abandoned building
  • Unaccompanied youth (not living in the physical custody of a parent or legal guardian and lacking a regular, fixed, nighttime residence)

Educational Rights for Students Experiencing Homelessness: 

  • Receive a free, appropriate public education
  • Enroll and attend school immediately even if unable to provide records required for enrollment
  • Enroll or remain in school without a permanent address
  • Qualify for Free and reduced lunch
  • Receive transportation to and from school if requested
  • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to the child’s needs
  • Stay in school of origin (when feasible and in the child’s best interest)
  • Speak with a local homeless liaison about their rights

Helpful Links:

If you are a parent/guardian or a student in need of assistance you may contact your building principal, or contact the Family/School Services Coordinator.

If you are a parent/guardian or student with questions or concerns regarding the school placement of your child please feel free to contact the Family/School Services Coordinator directly or download the Dispute Resolution Form and submit it to your child’s school.

Additionally, information on donating can be found here: Donation Letter or view the How to Help tab on the left of this page.


Anna Edwards
Family/School Services Coordinator

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.